Wednesday, August 12, 2009

a wife's wisdom


Every once in a while, I'm surprised by who reads this blog. For instance, I was contacted by someone yesterday from a southern state in which I've never lived who "found [me] online" and is interested in talking more about becoming part of the community we lead here in Lincoln. Crazy! And I'm not even on Facebook!

Anyway, after reading the piece I just finished about "one of the most personally disturbing comments I've heard in months" my wise wife encouraged me not to post it just in case - for some amazingly crazy reason - the person who made the comment were to read it and - by some chance - take offense to what I wrote.

I care for this person, and I'd never want them to be hurt, especially by my words.

To be clear (because I know this is sounding much juicier than it really is), this comment was personally disturbing because of what it revealed about the Church. And I love the Church. I wrote nothing that criticized the person. Their comment just spun me into a hurricane of reflection that touched-down on some sensitive areas. And I had to write about it.

I still think it's well-worth reading. :) If you're still interested, follow the clues and email me [nathan(at)nathanoates(dot)com] and I'll pass it on...maybe. ha ha!


3 comments:

Brittny said...

Hmm, am I the girl from the southern state you're referring to? Haha. I called you because I moved from Alabama and really wanted to be a part of Emmaus but was completely lost for an hour trying to find the church. Anyway, I finally found it this week and I've never felt more at home than I did on Sunday.

Back home in Alabama, I started sn organization called Open Our Eyes, which was based on the idea that the love of a community could save people's lives by preventing suicide. That's why I was so drawn to Emmaus. I'm attempting to start over here in Lincoln, but it's hard because I'm new and I haven't met many people yet. I'm sorry I'm starting to ramble, I'll get to the point now. :) Yesterday I had a meeting with two people who are interested in helping start Open Our Eyes here and I shared with them what I would like to be added to our mission statement: "We are different. But we are one. We come from many places, traditions, and cultures. But we will be together." I hope you don't mind I'm borrowing (stealing?) that.

I apologize for the rambled post, but I just really wanted you to know how much I enjoyed Emmaus. I'll be back again on Sunday. :) Have a great week!

Nathan said...

Hey there Brittany! Thanks for the comment. Yes, you are! Hope that wasn't too weird.

I'm so stoked you were at Emmaus Sunday and so bummed I missed meeting you. Please say hi this weekend if you're there.

Open Our Eyes sounds very interesting. I'd love to hear more about your story. Email me so I have your email address; would love to get coffee.

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link