Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Too Many Needs to Not Help


Sunday I asked our community why, even though we believe in living a life of compassion, we seldom actually engage in helping others in practical ways. 

And the one reason on which I focused was the misunderstanding that in order to help others, you, yourself, need to be all healed up. 

While I think that specific misunderstanding is common, it’s not the reason that most-often holds me back.  No, what usually keeps me from helping my neighbor is the nearly exhausting list of needs represented in my own home. 

I got lost in this daydream a few days ago: I was living in the country and my job was to care for my family.  Just my wife and three kids.  

In the daydream, this little community of 5 feels very manageable.  But then I  remember days and months and years when the needs within my own family were overwhelming. 

And then I start thinking of parents, siblings, nephews, nieces, and, of course, in-laws.  And, for me, this is a group of well-over 100 people.  That’s a whole lot of needs.  

Then, at least for me, there’s the church.  Several dozen families just like mine: full of needs. 

On one hand I think, “This is too much need.  I don’t have room for any more.  I can’t help.”

On the other hand I think, “That’s also a whole lot of support.  More than most will ever know.  How can I not help?”

1 comment:

Cyn said...

I try to tackle the 'helping others' by asking myself, what can I do that will help, but not cause too much (if any) conflict with my own families needs. For example, if I am headed somewhere anyhow and I know others are headed the same direction, it won't cause any issues for me to offer to drive someone else, or add on another errand in the same area for someone else. BUT, there are times when I need a little bit of help also and I know I can then count on those same people to give me a hand when necessary.
There are so many every day things that can be done for others without causing too much of a strain on yourself. And as you pointed out, it sure is nice to have someone to help out when I need it.