Thursday, October 27, 2011

Godin

I read three Seth Godin books this summer, including Tribes (which I read for the third time).  Seth is definitely in my head.  No one I'm reading is provoking me to think as much as Seth.  And even more importantly, no one is provoking me to act as much as Seth.

Poke the Box served as the catalyst for two new ideas, both of which I'm actively pursuing.
And Linchpin is golden, clarifying, must read material for anyone interested in doing work that matters (which is the only work that will be rewarded, according to Godin, in the new/present economy).  Many of Godin's core values, though presented in the contexts of business and art, resonates clearly with a Biblical worldview.

I found myself applying the book both to myself, as well as to my staff team, and, as a result of reading the book, am even more resolved to create and lead effective, creative, lasting, and truly valuable human connections.

Here's the matrix we'll use as we build our staff team over the next seven years.  Much of this was directly inspired by Godin's Linchpin.

//
Build around Staff who Create Value.



We will hire and build around those with responsibility as a primary strength.  They will take ownership beyond their immediate ministry area and thrive on making improvements.   They will act swiftly and freely to solve problems

Their passion for transformed lives and communities will drive them.  Creativity and freedom will characterize their work.  They will willingly try new methods, even if they require more effort, because of their love for people.  They will let go of what isn’t working, grateful for the lessons that come from “failures.”

Beyond this, they will increasingly create value in the community by initiating and developing strong relational connections others.  Ministry, for our staff, will be a personal, not merely professional commitment.

No comments: