Tuesday, June 08, 2010

salvation and work

How is compassion linked to salvation?



In other words, what has Christ done?  For what purpose? 
                           What can I do?  For what purpose? 


What did Jesus’ work accomplish?  Vs. What does my work accomplish? 

In his letter to the Ephesians (chapter 2), Paul articulates a distinctly Christian understanding of the relationship between works and salvation.  

He says this: 

Our works don't bring us to God, or even close to God.  Salvation is a gift.  It is given.  Completely. It can only be received.  It is not earned.  

One translation puts vs. 8 like this: "You had nothing to do with it."  

But then Paul immediately moves to the purpose of salvation: "to do good works."

So we might summarize Paul's argument like this: We are saved, not by works (v.9), but for works (v.10).  

I'd draw it like this:

Christ's work affects me.  My work doesn't affect Him, but it does affect others.  Christ's gospel is communicated or extended to others through me.

And, in reality, the gospel was communicated to me through others, like this: 


The question isn’t “should you do good works?” 
                  Of course you should. 

         The question is “who are the good works for?” 
                  Answer: For others. For your neighbor.    


No comments: